The inability to conceive a child is a very delicate topic to discuss.
While going to the doctor can net you a bunch of drugs (sponsored by big pharma) some people would rather not take drugs prescribed, especially at the early stages.
Instead, taking male fertility supplements is a safe and completely natural way to improve sperm quality, and hence, increase the chances of having a baby!
Here are our top picks for the best male fertility supplements available today…
Comparison of the 5 Best Male Fertility Supplements
This supplement comes packed with antioxidants, amino acids, and herbs to support a steady flow of oxygen-rich blood that improves a man’s ability to have and maintain an erection.
This multivitamin pack is custom-tailored to each customer's unique health needs through the use of a highly-detailed online questionnaire.
Essential for Men
Best Fertility Supplement – Beli Vitality for Men
Beli has produced the ultimate multivitamin for men that’s designed to improve sperm health and increase a couple’s chances of conceiving.
This multivitamin contains 8 key nutrients along with a vitality blend composed of potent supplements that work together to improve parameters including:
- Sperm quality
- Sperm count
- Sperm motility
- Sperm morphology
- Egg penetration
- Cellular health and energy
What makes this product stand out among its competitors is the inclusion of CoQ10 and Shilajit. These essential ingredients for men restore energetic balance and enhance vitality and studies have displayed the ability of both supplements to improve sperm count and overall sperm quality.
It is recommended for men to take 2 capsules daily starting at least six months prior to trying to conceive.
- 1,020mcg of methylfolate
- 2,000IU vitamin D3
- Chelated zinc and selenium
- Missing magnesium, iodine, and boron
- Not as comprehensive as other multivitamins
- Only moderate to low dosages of some supplements
Best Supplement For Circulation – Semenoll
While it’s crucial to improve sperm parameters to raise your chances of conceiving, it’s equally as important to support sexual performance by improving blood flow and boosting sexual desire.
Semenoll was created to do both!
This supplement comes packed with antioxidants, amino acids, and herbs to support a steady flow of oxygen-rich blood that improves a man’s ability to have and maintain an erection.
Some of its most notable ingredients tied to improvements in circulation include tribulus terrestris, maca root extract, l-arginine hydrochloride, l-lysine hydrochloride, pumpkin seed, and Muira puama.
It is recommended for men to take 3 capsules daily. Most men report significant improvements within 3 months of use.
- Includes top herbs and supplements for blood flow
- 100% natural ingredients
- All ingredients used are supported by numerous clinical studies
- 3 capsules per serving
- Concentrations of ingredients are slightly below clinically effective amounts
- NAC is no longer within its major ingredients
Best Custom Multivitamin for Men – Persona Nutrition
Persona Nutrition offers daily vitamin packs that are 100% personalized and designed to meet the specific health needs of each and every customer.
The company offers both prenatal vitamin packs for women as well as individual ingredients that can be used towards building the ultimate male fertility supplement stack.
Men have the option to complete a quick assessment on Persona’s website to determine which vitamins, minerals, and supplements would be best for their health goals or they may individually pick out the ingredients they want to include in their vitamin packs.
Persona offers the following major supplements that are critical for sperm cell health, hormone production, and immune system defense:
- Ubiquinol – It’s extremely hard to come across the active form of CoQ10 in most male fertility supplements! This version of CoQ10 is used directly towards promoting heart health, improving cellular energy, and reducing cellular damage caused by inflammation.
- Omega 3 w/ BioCurc® – Omega 3 fats are critical for supporting cellular development and structure and its potency is further enhanced through the use of curcumin. This powerful duo works together to support a healthy inflammatory response as well as defend sperm cells against free radical damage.
- TRU NIAGEN® – This is an optimal form of niacin (vitamin B3) that has displayed clinically validated results in promoting cellular energy and repair.
- Antioxidant – This broad-spectrum antioxidant blend is composed of vitamins A & E, riboflavin (vitamin B12), zinc, selenium, NAC, milk thistle, and mixed carotenoids. These nutrients have been studied extensively for their roles in improving sperm health parameters and increasing the likelihood of conception.
- Spirulina – This type of algae is regarded as a superfood and is essential for the removal of toxins that may impair reproductive health, such as heavy metals. It also nourishes sperm cells through its vast array of micronutrients.
- Highly Detailed Online Assessment
- Live Nutritionist Support
- 80 Different Ingredients Available
- Not All Ingredients are Trademarked
- Uses Proprietary Blends
- Does Not Rely on Blood Test or DNA Test
Best Probiotic Supplement for Men
One of the best ways that men can enhance their fertility is through improving gut and immune system health!
PL Immune by Performance Lab offers men the leading probiotic-antioxidant supplement that provides broad-range immune support and defends the body against free radical damage.
This supplement provides a two-step approach to enhancing the immune system:
First, it restores impaired defense mechanisms and then it activates immune cells for optimal performance and proliferation.
PL Immune is the #1 probiotic and antioxidant stack available as it contains the heat-treated probiotic LC-Plasma (Lactococcus lactis) in the form of IMMUNE™.
This superior probiotic has been shown to activate 5 types of immune cells and its potency has been confirmed by 7 separate human clinical trials.
It is recommended for men to take 1 capsule daily in the mornings with a meal that contains fat in order to enhance its absorption.
- Validated in 7 clinical studies
- Contains major antioxidants for men
- Uses superior probiotic that activates immune cells
- Lacks probiotic diversity
- Missing other nutrients critical for sperm health
- Need to consume with fat for enhanced absoprtion
Best Multivitamin with Omega-3: Ritual Essential for Men
Essential for Men 18+ by Ritual is a DHA-containing multivitamin that provides men with 10 traceable ingredients that enhance sperm cell structure, support methylation, and boost immune defense.
2 of its major ingredients include algae-derived omega-3 DHA and methylfolate.
Most fertility supplements for men either lack these essential nutrients or contain them in extremely low concentrations.
Men should ensure that their multivitamin contains both ingredients as DHA is crucial for sperm cell structure as well as promotes hormone production and methylfolate is required for methylation processes, which includes DNA formation and sperm cell development.
It is recommended for men to take 2 capsules daily, starting use at least 3 months prior to conception.
- 10 key nutrients
- 100% Vegan-friendly
- 350mg of DHA + 200 mcg Methylfolate
- Does not contain selenium or iodine
- Some men may also require EPA for inflammation reduction
- Some men may prefer a more comprehensive multivitamin
Male Factor Infertility
Male fertility problems are more common than some may think, although men sometimes struggle to discuss their issues even with their healthcare practitioners.
According to the American Pregnancy Association, infertility affects every sixth couple, and male infertility factors can be found in as many as 30% of all cases.
Thus, if you’re suspecting that you have this problem, you’re not alone and there’s nothing to be ashamed of.
According to science, there are three main causes of male infertility:
- a hypothalamic disorder;
- sperm transport disorder;
- gonad disorder.
Aside from that, about half of all infertility cases have unknown causes.
Now, to make it simple, male infertility happens because the sperm is considered ‘abnormal’, which may mean one of the following:
- Low count of sperm cells, which lowers the chances to reach an egg.
- Low motility of sperm cells, which means that they move more slowly than usual.
- Low vitality of sperm cells, meaning that they have a shorter lifespan compared to healthy sperm and die faster than they reach an egg.
Male Fertility Test
Since numerous factors contribute to sperm abnormalities — including urinary tract infections, hormonal imbalance, substance abuse, and high levels of stress — the most correct way to find out if you need vitamins for men is to go through a thorough medical examination, which includes the following:
- semen analysis;
- a blood test to determine hormonal levels;
- doing a urethral discharge culture to find out possible infections;
- physical examinations of genitals.
Semen analysis is the most important part of the examination. It allows the doctor to monitor the following parameters:
- Sperm count. Normal sperm count is between 20 and 300 million per milliliter. Less than 10 million is considered poor.
- Volume. The normal amount of semen produced during ejaculation is about 2 milliliters. Lower volume may signal about prostate gland problems or issues with seminal vesicles.
- Motility. This parameter shows the number of active cells and their movement. The minimum percentage of active cells should be 50% and aim for 100%, while movement is measured using a scale from 0 to 4, where 3 is considered the minimum.
- Morphology. Finally, the specialist will look at the shape and size of sperm cells, as this defines their ability to reach an egg and fertilize it. Healthy sperm should have at least 30% of ‘normal’ cells.
But how do you know that it’s time to see your doctor and do all these tests?
The answer is:
Look for the following symptoms:
- Changes in sexual desire. Changes in libido are governed by hormones, and any changes in the production of hormones may lead to possible fertility issues.
- Erectile dysfunction. Problems with maintaining an erection can be linked to low levels of testosterone, and hence, lower chances to conceive.
- Pain or swelling in testicles. These symptoms might also indicate possible issues with fertility.
If you notice any of these symptoms, it’s better to address them to your healthcare practitioner to get the right diagnosis and start your treatment sooner.
Male Fertility Supplements
Treating male fertility problems requires a comprehensive approach. That’s why most of the modern supplements addressing this problem have a formulation that includes different types of nutrients.
Male Fertility Vitamins to Boost Sperm Count
Many essential nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, and amino acids, have antioxidant properties, but if the aim is to increase sperm count or fight other effects of male infertility, you’ll probably encounter the following nutrients in your supplement blend:
- Vitamin C. Ascorbic acid is a powerful antioxidant that is vital for a lot of body functions. It may improve the vitality of sperm cells and reduce the number of DNA mutations inside them.
- Vitamin E. Research suggests that vitamin E may improve sperm motility and increase the number of active cells in individuals who had poor sperm count.
- CoQ10. Coenzyme CoQ10 might improve the motility of sperm cells and increase their count, however, the studies conducted on this topic didn’t touch on the effects of CoQ10 on chances of getting pregnant, so more data is needed for further evaluation.
- N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC). NAC may protect the sperm cells from DNA damage, thereby reducing the risks of mutation and improving morphology. Also, it may improve motility.
- Folic Acid. Folic acid used to be commonly considered an essential element for female reproductive health. But it turns out, it may also help men increase sperm volume and counts when taken along with zinc. Still, more research is needed to determine if this is true.
- Selenium. Selenium is involved in spermatogenesis, meaning it can help a man produce more semen and improve sperm quality.
- Zinc. Zinc is essential for good sperm health. It’s a proven testosterone booster, which promotes higher sperm volume, count, and motility. Along with that, zinc reduces the amount of DNA damage in the sperm cells.
- Chromium. Chromium is essential for active sperm, as it improves motility and morphology of sperm cells.
- Manganese. Manganese works as a catalyst for producing important enzymes that regulate sperm count and motility. Low levels of this element may be linked to reduced sperm quality and an increased amount of slow cells.
Finally, almost any fertility booster today features some sort of proprietary blend of herbal extracts, which typically includes the following names:
- Saw palmetto. This herb inhibits testosterone breakdown, thereby increasing the levels of this hormone in the blood. Since low testosterone levels contribute to poor sperm count, it’s believed that saw palmetto might help improve this parameter.
- Maca root powder. Maca root powder positively affects all parameters of healthy sperm. It may improve sperm volume, count, motility, and morphology in cells, and it has great antioxidant properties.
- Ashwagandha. Ashwagandha is a powerful adaptogenic herb, meaning it can help you deal with stress. Since stress is a major hormonal disruptor, managing it with adaptogens could improve your overall hormonal situation. Along with that, ashwagandha has shown the positive effects on sperm motility and the number of mutated cells.
- Asian ginseng. In Asian culture, ginseng is considered one of the most powerful aphrodisiacs, meaning it’s believed to increase sexual desire and arousal. This herb may increase sperm volume and boost the overall vitality of the cells thanks to its antioxidant effects.
How Can You Improve Sperm Quality and Low Sperm Counts Naturally?
If you’re not yet sure about taking male fertility supplements, here’s the good news:
You can try to improve your sperm quality naturally.
Foods to Improve Sperm Count
All the vitamins and antioxidants used for making fertility supplements are derived from food sources. Here’s a brief list of foods that increase sperm count and contribute to sperm health:
- Seafood. Shellfish, oysters, and crabs are a great source of zinc, which, as mentioned above, is very beneficial for sperm health.
- Whole grains and nuts. Aside from containing zinc, these are rich in folate — a B vitamin that can increase the percentage of active sperm cells and improve their motility.
- Dairy and eggs. Dairy products can fuel you with B12 vitamin, which may positively affect sperm count and reduce DNA damage in the cells.
- Colorful fruits and veggies (especially red and yellow). These are rich in vitamin C, which is needed for maintaining healthy morphology, motility, and vitality of sperm cells.
- Lean meat, organ meat, and poultry. Meat products can replenish your levels of coenzyme CoQ10, which is linked to better sperm motility and count.
Exercise for Fertility Improvements
Physical activity is one of the proven ways to increase sperm count because it’s a powerful testosterone booster.
Even short aerobic activity, such as running or swimming, may increase the volume and count of sperm.
Along with that, staying active keeps you in shape and prevents obesity, which is thought to be another risk factor for male infertility.
Time and Stress Management
Not only is stress linked to a host of health disorders, but it also defines how your body uses energy. When you’re stressed out, the body prepares the ‘fight-or-flight’ response and conserves energy that is necessary for reproduction needs. It’s an evolutionary mechanism that can explain the connection between chronic stress and fertility problems.
So, you need to manage and work through stress issues. Allow yourself some time to wind down, and seek professional help if you suspect that your stress issues are getting worse.
Quit Bad Habits
Smoking is a bad habit in many ways. It results in huge oxidative stress for your body, which negatively affects sperm quality, thereby lowering your chances to become a dad. Also, nicotine has vasoconstricting effects, meaning it causes your blood vessels to narrow. This can limit blood flow to the penile veins, making it difficult to maintain an erection.
The same applies to alcohol. Alcoholic beverages can lower your testosterone levels and affect other male hormones too, which may impact the overall sperm quality.
With that said, quitting bad habits — at least for a while — is highly recommended if you are willing to become a dad in the nearest future.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do fertility blends for men work?
Let’s be honest here:
Studies show mixed results on this topic. But that doesn’t mean that fertility boosters don’t work at all.
Some of them help you manage stress, while others increase your testosterone levels. No supplement will work as a magic pill that will solve your problems. Still, as a part of the complex approach, male fertility supplements can be a great tool.
Can I quickly increase my sperm count?
For starters, let’s define what ‘quickly’ means. Usually, sperm quality doesn’t drop overnight, so it’s impossible to restore it at once either. But if you go gradually and have some level of commitment to your new lifestyle habits and diet changes, you might increase your sperm count, as well as other parameters, in about a month or two.
How long do I need to take male fertility supplements?
It depends on their type and formulation, as well as on your health condition and the cause of fertility issues.
Usually, one bottle contains enough servings to set you up for 4-8 weeks of supplementation. Some supplements, including some of those listed above, are designed for a longer course — up to 12 weeks. However, most fertility blends should be taken until the conception happens and your partner gets pregnant, which may happen sooner.
Can I completely restore my fertility?
If your fertility problems are reversible — say, if they are caused by substance abuse, high-stress levels, or mild hormonal imbalance that can be fixed with the help of a therapist — then yes, you can bring your sperm quality back to normal and restore your fertility.
Male infertility is a common problem. It takes up to one-third of all known infertility cases. Its main cause lies in sperm abnormalities that make it difficult for sperm cells to reach and fertilize an egg.
However, if these sperm abnormalities aren’t caused by genetic issues, chronic hormonal imbalance, or irreversible injuries in the groin area, then male infertility can be treated through supplementation and simple lifestyle and diet changes.
Most male fertility supplements today feature a blend of antioxidants, vitamins, and trace minerals, and are generally harmless for a man’s health. However, they’re not regulated by the FDA, so consulting with a healthcare specialist is highly advised before taking any pills.