I decided to start building my prenatal library back in June of this year. Although I frequently visit other blogs and prenatal health websites to learn more about pregnancy and birth, I figured it would be best to have books on hand to reference whenever I need them. I tend to learn new concepts much better if I have a physical copy of the material I’m reading and I prefer to highlight certain sections to retain their information more easily.
When I began to build my prenatal library I decided to seek out both a mix of mainstream and niche works that way I could take a deep dive into the world of wild/unassisted pregnancy and birth as well as holistic and alternative practices. I was also curious to learn more about co-sleeping, elimination communication (going diaperless), and various meditation and visualization practices to prepare my mind for birth so I also sought books that fit these categories as well.
While I had heard of major names like Ina May Gaskin, Grantly Dick-Read, and Aviva Romm, I soon discovered that there was a plethora of other books related to these subjects. I thought that it may be helpful to include some of the books I’m currently reading in case anyone is interested in adding to their current collection or wants to learn about other authors who are major leaders in the prenatal and postnatal world.
Here is a list of the books I currently have as a part of my prenatal and postnatal library:
- Childbirth Without Fear: The Principles and Practice of Natural Childbirth by Grantly Dick-Read
- Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: A Doctor’s Guide to Natural Childbirth and Gentle Early Parenting Choices by Sarah Buckley
- Unassisted Childbirth by Laura Kaplan Shanley
- Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife by Peggy Vincent
- Ina May’s Guide to Breastfeeding by Ina May Gaskin
- Sleeping with Your Baby: A Parent’s Guide to Cosleeping by James J. McKenna
- Unhindered Childbirth: Wisdom for the Passage of Unassisted Birth by Sarah M. Haydock
- Real Food For Pregnancy by Lily Nichols
- The Natural Pregnancy Book: Herbs, Nutrition, and Other Holistic Choices by Aviva Jill Romm
- The Mindful Mom-To-Be by Lori Bregman
- Freebirth: Self-Directed Pregnancy and Birth by Sarah Schmid
- Diaper Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative by Christine Gross-Loh
- The Ultimate Diaper Free Baby Guide: Elimination Communication Strategies for Quicker and Healthier Potty Training Before 18 Months by Kristina Duclos
- The Unassisted Baby: A Do-It-Yourself Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth by Anita Evensen
- 50 Human Studies in utero, Conducted in Modern China Indicate Extreme Risk for Prenatal Ultrasound A New Bibliography by Jim West
While I realize that not all parents will choose to go the unassisted route and will opt for a hospital setting, I still encourage future parents to read any of the above books as they contain critical information related to the birth process, what to expect in pregnancy, how to explore your options for prenatal and postnatal care, and support defending your autonomous pregnancy and birth choices with full confidence.
Know of any other books that should be added to the list? Feel free to reach me at email@example.com to send me more ideas or comment below!