Infertility treatments can be expensive, and in vitro fertilization (IVF) is no exception. The average cost of IVF in the United States is $12,400, but prices can range from $10,000 to $15,000. In Houston, the average cost of IVF is $9,000.
While the cost of IVF may seem prohibitive, it is important to remember that the procedure has a high success rate. The success rate for IVF is about 40%, which means that four out of ten women who undergo the procedure will get pregnant.
There are several ways to finance IVF treatment. Some insurance plans cover the cost of IVF, but many do not. There are also some financing options available through fertility clinics.
Discuss the cost with your doctor or fertility clinic if you consider IVF. They will be able to help you find the best financing option for your situation.
PSG and PGD
Preimplantation genetic screening (PSG) and preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) are two different procedures used during IVF.
PSG is a screening test used on embryos to check for specific genetic conditions before they are implanted into the uterus. PGD is a diagnostic procedure used on embryos to identify genetic conditions before uterine implantation.
PSG and PGD are optional procedures and are usually not covered by insurance. The cost of PSG is about $3,000, and the cost of PGD is about $5,000.
What is an IVF Cycle?
An IVF cycle is the process that begins with egg retrieval and ends with embryo transfer. An IVF cycle usually takes about two weeks.
During an IVF cycle, eggs are retrieved from the ovaries and fertilized with sperm in a laboratory. The resulting embryos are then transferred to the uterus.
Most women must undergo more than one IVF cycle to become pregnant.
What are the side effects of IVF?
The side effects of IVF are generally mild and include bloating, cramping, and nausea. However, some women may experience more severe side effects, such as ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS). OHSS is a condition that can occur when the ovaries produce too many eggs. OHSS include rapid weight gain, abdominal pain, and shortness of breath. OHSS is a rare but severe condition that can be fatal in rare cases.
What are the risks of IVF?
The risks of IVF are generally low. However, as with any medical procedure, there are some risks associated with IVF. These include:
- Blood clots
- Damage to the cervix or uterus
- Multiple births (twins, triplets, etc.)
- Premature birth
- Low birth weight
Factors to consider in finding IVF prices in Houston.
When looking into the pricing of IVF in Houston, one must consider multiple things. Here are some of the main factors:
- The clinic you go to, each fertility clinic will have its special price for IVF. Researching and finding which clinic suits both your needs and budget is essential.
- If you need to use donor eggs or sperm- depending on the clinic, this can either be included in the overall price of IVF or be an additional charge on top of the base price.
- The drugs required during treatment- like the donor eggs and sperm, fertility drugs may or may not be included in the base price.
- Your insurance- as mentioned earlier, not all insurance companies will cover the cost of IVF. If you have insurance, check with your provider to see how much they are willing to cover.
- Location- another important factor is location. The prices of fertility treatments can vary greatly depending on what city or state you live in. For example, IVF in Houston is generally more affordable than in larger cities such as New York or Los Angeles.
Discounts on IVF
There are a few ways to get discounts on IVF in Houston:
- Check with your fertility clinic- some clinics offer discounts for certain groups of people. For example, the Houston Fertility Institute provides a 10% discount to active military personnel and their spouses.
- Look into grants- as mentioned earlier, some organizations offer assistance to help with the cost of fertility treatments. The American Society for Reproductive Medicine lists organizations that provide grants on their website.
- Check with your insurance-as stated before, not all insurance companies will cover IVF. However, some may offer discounts on fertility drugs or other associated costs. It’s essential to check with your provider to see what they are willing to cover.
- Find a package deal- many fertility clinics will offer package deals that include a discount on IVF. For example, the Texas Fertility Center offers a package deal that consists of a free consultation, $500 off the price of IVF, and a waived new patient fee.
The average cost of IVF in Houston is $9,000. The bottom line is that IVF is an expensive and complicated procedure, but it is often the best option for couples struggling to conceive. If you are considering IVF, talk to your doctor about all your options and ensure you understand the procedure’s risks and benefits.
Additionally, there are several ways that you can make IVF more affordable. Ask your doctor or fertility clinic about financing options, discounts, and grants.